$15,000 First Home Owner Grant in NSW
The Scheme was established to assist first home buyers to purchase their first home by offering a $15,000 grant.
Eligible first home owners can receive the grant regardless of their income or the area in which they are planning to buy or build. However, the value of the home cannot exceed the following cap amounts:
Cap amount $835,000
Your eligibility is determined on the facts and circumstances as at the commencement date of the eligible transaction. This is the date of the contract to purchase or build a home or, for an owner builder, the date the foundations commenced to be laid.
To qualify for the First Home Owner Grant, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Each applicant is a natural person and not a company or trust.
- At least one applicant is a permanent resident or Australian citizen.
- Each applicant must be at least 18 years of age.
- All applicants and/or their spouse/de facto have not owned a residential property, jointly, separately or with some other person, in any State or Territory of Australia before July 2000.
- All applicants and/or their spouse/de facto have not previously owned a residential property jointly, separately or with some other person in any State or Territory of Australia, and occupied that property for a continuous period of at least six months.
- Each applicant has entered into a contract for the purchase of a home or signed a contract to build a home on or after 1 July 2000. In the case of an owner-builder, laying of the foundations commenced on or after 1 July 2000.
- The total value of the property does not exceed the cap amount for eligible transactions which commenced on or after 1 January 2010. The cap amount is reviewed annually and the cap applicable to your application is determined by the commencement date of the eligible transaction. This is the date of the contract to purchase or build a home or, for an owner builder, the date the laying of foundations commenced.
- This is the first time an applicant and/or their spouse/de facto will receive a grant under the First Home Owner Grant Act 2000 in any State or Territory (unless subsequently repaid).
- At least one applicant will occupy the home as their principal place of residence for a continuous period of 6 months, commencing within 12 months of settlement or construction of the home. Where an applicant was a member of the permanent forces of the Australian Defence Force and all applicants were enrolled on the NSW electoral roll, as at the commencement date of the eligible transaction, dated on or after 21 October 2009, then all applicants are exempt from the residence requirement.
How to apply for the First Home Owner Grant
You can apply for the First Home Owner Grant through your financial institution or us. Applications lodged with financial institutions will have the grant available for settlement or for the first draw down on contracts to build.
You can only lodge an Application for First Home Owner Grant (OFH 001 September 2012) (PDF) with us after completion and you are registered on title (if you are purchasing under a ‘Terms Contract’, please contact us for lodgement requirements). Applications must be lodged within 12 months of completion or settlement of your home.
If the contrustion completion date wil not be met, submit an Extension to Construction Completion Date form (OFH 013) (PDF) .